Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A TEXAS WEDDING

My sister got married to her perfect match a few weeks ago.  I was the Matron of Honor. duh.  My oldest daughter, the flower girl. again, duh.  

 
Ceremony. 

The perfect setting.  The church was where we grew up.  Attended so many Sundays with our Nana and GDaddy who were so powerfully present, watching over us, giving their blessings alongside God. I don't think I even took my eyes of K the whole time. Except to sneak a glance at Chris once or twice.

Reception.

We danced, we ate, we partied. There were friends, family and peacocks.  The band played for an extra few hours.  Just long enough for everyone to really get their P-A-R-T-Y on.  The boys did the suspender dance. The father of the groom did his break dance.  Everyone did the Texas Two Step. 

There was only one thing that didn't come out perfect. I was only able to spit out half my speech. If you know me well enough, you know I get weak in the knees talking in front of adults.  clarification: I am not an adult. I am worlds away from my parents. my parents are adults.   I can speak to my peers. I can teach math and science to a room full of teenage punks. There are many people and situations I can handle, but not speaking in front of adults.

So, K I apologize. I wrote it out in hopes I could just read it, but it didn't turn out that way. So, here it is.  The speech I intended to say with all my love.
I cant believe my little sister is getting married.  It seems like yesterday she was following me around trying on all my clothes and getting into all of my stuff.  She has gone from my annoying little sister to a beautiful young woman. I look to her and see the kind of person I want to be.  She sees the good in people. She brings out the best in you.  She makes you laugh with her silliness and sometimes complete unawareness of what is happening outside of the Kathryn bubble.  Geographically and otherwise.   Every passing year we have continued to grow closer. I help her with math. She helps me spell.  I tried to explain to her how to kiss a boy and she explains over and over to me how I can take a better picture so that I don’t look so ridiculous in front of the flash. 

She called me a few years ago about a new boy. From the very first phone call I knew he was different. There was this manager guy hanging around the nursery checking on her and the other girls who worked there to make sure they were doing their job right. He was really cute so she didn’t mind him checking in on them.  One day she was excited because he told her she was needed in the kitchen to help him cut the valentines cake. You know, she told me. He does everything. He is the operations manager or something. You know, he handles the operations of the club.  When he doesn’t have enough people in the kitchen he even helps cut cake.  Um, Kathryn I asked… Do you think it is possible he is hanging around the nursery to see you?  And I am quite certain he doesn’t have to cut cake, but perhaps he wants to cut cake with you?

After the cake cutting she and Christopher snuck around Westside for a while. Then Kathryn got her dream job teaching her beautiful Autistic children and they didn’t have to sneak anymore.  So, as Kathryn and I are downing tequila shots at Guadalahara waiting for Christopher to come meet us for their first non secret meeting her nerves were running high. .. I think we may have had a few to many shots to calm her nerves, but none the less it worked. She was being Kathryn in all of her silliness and fun.  Christopher met us, had one beer, laughed at us, picked up the tab and he and Kathryn disappeared for a few minutes.  When she met me back in the car I just looked at her… WELL?  Yep, great kisser she reported happily.

Not to long after that Christopher called me and said he was going to ask her to marry him.  The perfect match made in heaven.  Chris, I am so thrilled to have you as a brother in law and most importantly, a friend. You couldn’t be more perfect for Kathryn. She is the happiest I have ever seen her.  A little spoiled, but I suppose you know what your getting yourself into. right? Congrats to you both. I love you and I know you will live happily ever after.
 
~SOS~

No comments:

Post a Comment