Tuesday, April 12, 2011

CATCHING THE DUCK

Yesterday morning I heard a muffled scream from Punks as she was pressed against the bedroom window, "MAMA!" One very old duck was waddling around our backyard. "duck" I tell her. I can see the wheels turning in her head.... it is not yellow? it is not floating in my bathtub? "No, mama" she corrects me very calmly, "birrrrd".   We had this same run in the day before when she corrected me on ants. They were not ants, they were bugs.  duh, mama.

10 minutes passed. 20 minutes. Still watching the duck bird waddle around the yard.  Okay, lets go outside and get a close up of this fascinating creature.

"Don't run, you will scare him!" as she sprints out the door all squeals.  Turns out he was not scared.  He opened his wings and let out this crazy QUAAAKKKKK.  Punks u-turns and sprints back towards me, eyes wide.

Plan B. Clearly this duck is used to being harassed by little humans.

I scoop up Punks and we fetch a piece of bread from the house.  Yep, now he wants to be friends with us.

Piece by piece we give him some bread. At that point she was satisfied. On to the next adventure. "Byyyyeee birrrrrrd! seeeee uuuuuu laterrrrr birrrrrd!"


And we did. This morning I pull back the curtains and our little friend was waiting for us.  I have had many dogs, some fish, never a cat and definitely never a pet duck before. Could be an interesting change.

~SOS~

No comments:

Post a Comment